Friday, June 14, 2019

Aabha Rosy Vatsa writes

MY FATHER'S DAUGHTER

It is true that my mother gave birth to me
It is true that I learned the essence of a woman
From my amazing mother
But I got the of imprints of my soul
From my father
As Mum was always occupied in household chores
Raising four young girls

So am I my father's daughter?
I feel so!
Delightedly!

You taught me the love of proverbs and quotations
By quoting them to impart values

You taught me tenderness and caring
By tending to the broken wings of a sparrow

You taught me the virtues of patience
By carefully wrapping home grown custard apples in newspapers to ripen

You taught me humility
By showing me the fruit laden tree

You taught me to appreciate Nature and a love of gardening
By your green fingers and amazing kitchen garden

You taught me that lazy habits could be overcome
By citing the example of green stick which could bend unlike the hard stick brown one

You taught me to embrace a new culture
As you made us comfortable in Zambia

You taught me the importance of hard work
By not only making me studious, but practising diligence in life

You taught me economy
By living and practising an economical lifestyle

You taught me to celebrate life
By always preparing for festivities

You taught me the importance of laughter
By cracking jokes

You taught me the love for the world
By encouraging my stamp collection

You taught me the virtue of a big heart
By quoting the Punjabi proverb
'Rab neetan nu bhaag laganda hai"*

You taught me the importance of good handwriting
By making me practise cursive handwriting

You taught me grace
By being generous to one and all

But your greatest gift of all is SPIRITUALITY
For you taught me to surrender at the feet of the Lord

A sense of wonder at every creation of His
Be it the fathomless ocean
The towering Redwoods
The lofty mountains
The life giving rivers
Or the flora and fauna

Together  you and Mum formed  a winning team
To impart the best values to your daughters
An apt example for me to emulate

Today on Father's day
I offer you this humble poem
In full gratitude
As
'My father' s Daughter'

* This is the first time.
 
A Father's Day painting I made for my dad  
orange day red dad silhouette -- yuuna

1 comment:

  1. Since the 5th century Coptic Christians in Egypt have celebrated Father's Day on 20 July, the saint's day of Jesus' father Joseph. At the instigation of the Franciscan order of monks Catholics in Europe began celebrating the day late in the 14th century or early in the 15th, but Joseph's saint's day is on 19 March, which is the date on which it is still celebrated in much of Europe and Latin America. But most of the rest of the world has adopted the American date (the 3rd Sunday in June) to mark the occasion. In 1910 Sonora Smart Dodd suggested to her pastor in Spokane, Washington, that a day should be set aside to honor fathers. She suggested her own father's birthday, 5 June, but the church did not have enough time to prepare, so the 3rd Sunday in June was proposed instead. In 1916 president Woodrow Wilson spoke at a father's Day event there, but Congress rejected his attempts to make it a national holiday. President Calvin Coolidge also recommended national observance in 1924, but to no avail. While Dodd studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and worked in fashion design in Hollywood, the practice died out in her home town during the 1920s until her return the next decade. By 1938 she gained support from the Father's Day Council, set up by the New York Associated Men's Wear Retailers to promote its commercial potential, but it was not until 1966 that president Lyndon B. Johnson issued a proclamation recognizing the 3rd Sunday as Father's Day. President Richard Nixon signed a law in 1972 that made it a permanent national holiday. Dodd died in 1978. In India, the date is observed in many of the large cities but is not an official holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?