Wednesday, August 15, 2018

A. V. Koshy interviews Vinitha Nair




https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
A.V. Koshy: What made you take up painting
as a profession, seriously?

Vinitha Nair: I always had a flair for sketching. 
I used to sketch a lot when I was six years old 
looking at comic books and newspaper cartoons. 
So, I always had a natural inclination for drawing 
as a kid. When I was ten years old, I sketched a 
portrait of Abraham Lincoln and it was very much
appreciated in my school. So, I always had the 
talent and the skill. They were already there lying 
latent inside me. I eventually got busy with my 
studies and work life and was not able to find time 
for this talent of mine. It was only last year, the urge
to paint surfaced in me which resulted in me doing 
a still life in oil paint. This was my very first 
painting and I realised that with each stroke of my 
brush, the painting would just come alive on the 
canvas. It was like pure passion coming out and it 
gave me a lot of joy. This painting was much 
appreciated by everyone including serious and well-
known artists. This gave me the confidence and 
self-assurance that I was on the right track. I 
realised that this is what I want to do seriously 
going forward - follow my new found passion - 
painting.

AVK: Are you influenced by any particular painters
or paintings, and if so who all and why?

VN: I am not influenced by any particular painter or
painting. I have a lot of respect for all painters of 
realism. Rosa Bonheur, Raja Ravi Varma, S L 
Haldankar, Thomas Heakins, Rob Hefferan, Jeremy
Lipking are some of the painters whose works I 
like. All their works reflect a high level of skills.

AVK: Ultra realism is back in demand. What draws
you to this sub-genre of painting?

VN: I feel that it is in the genre of realism or ultra-
realism that the talent and skill of a painter come 
out. A painting should reflect the painting skills of 
the painter. The more painting skills that are shown,
the better the painting. And what better way to 
showcase your painting skills than realism or ultra-
realism, since these genres require the artist to bring
forth a high level of skills. There is an enchanting 
quality about realism which I don't find in other 
genres because of the high level of skills it calls for. 
Not everyone can do realism because it is a difficult
genre. It can be very fascinating to focus on the 
finer details and bring them to life with my brush. It
requires a high level of focus. The more challenging
and complex it is, the higher the level of satisfaction
I feel as I create it on my canvas. When I look up at 
the sky, the scenery and the way the sunlight falls, 
bathing objects in a play of light and shade, I feel 
nothing is more beautiful and fascinating than 
nature itself. And nothing is more beautiful than the
human form. And it is in the genre of realism that I 
can capture all of this.

AVK: You exhibit an amazing amount of finesse, 
maturity, concentration and focus for such a 'young'
painter. What accounts for it?

VN: Thank you the compliments. The finesse comes
from an obsessive need for flawlessness. If I am 
painting even a minute part of the canvas, I need to 
execute the smallest detail in perfection, for me to 
be able to feel satisfied to move on to the next part. 
There is a sense of exhilaration that comes with 
painting each tiny section flawlessly and then 
moving on to the next section. Having done just two
paintings so far in my life, I can be considered a 
'young' painter. Hence, the maturity is definitely 
inborn. It was already there in me lying latent and 
waiting to be unleashed. I just pick up the brush and
it flows out onto the canvas. Pure passion is the only
reason behind the high level of concentration and 
focus. I don't even realise the hours passing by, as I 
am completely immersed in my painting when I 
paint. Nothing can replace the joy that comes from 
pursuing one's passion in life.

AVK: There is an element of derivation in your 
paintings? Don't you want to be more original, 
painting from the imagination? If not, why not?

VN: There is an element of derivation in my 
painting which is an incidental result of doing 
realism. While doing realism, we can look at the 
object we want to paint and and use that as the main
theme of the painting while improvising on it and 
adding our own ideas to make it as unique as 
possible. In the second painting, I preferred to set 
the backdrop for the ballerina as a sea landscape 
rather than the ballerina being on stage because I 
wanted to convey the emotion of serenity in the 
midst of storms. Alternatively, we can be more 
original by setting up what we want to paint along 
with a live model and painting from there or taking 
a photo of this setting and then painting from the 
photo which is what many ultra realist artists do 
including the award winning realist artist Shashikant
Dhotre. Going forward, I want to bring exclusivity 
to my paintings by adding elements of surrealism to
it.

AVK: What are your future plans?

VN: I want to focus mainly on realism / ultra-
realism since there is no other genre that fascinates 
me more. But I want to do paintings in realism 
which are complex and require very high skill 
levels. I want to do paintings which are very 
challenging. Each painting I make should be more 
complex than the previous one. I also want my 
paintings to have elements of magic realism, fantasy
and surrealism in them.

AVK: Any words of advice to fellow painters, or 
beginners?

VN: Self-belief. Have tons of it. There will be 
plenty of nay-sayers and people who will not want 
you to succeed. Keep your self belief high. There 
will be many who will want to see you fall. Keep 
your sight on your goals. Follow your passion and 
what interests you in painting whether it is realism, 
abstract art, cubism, contemporary art, art nouveau 
etc. Do not follow the trend blindly. Go according to
what genre genuinely interests you, regardless of the
trend. Because it is only when you follow your 
passion, your soul-calling, that you will be able to 
break the boundaries and fearlessly set new ones.

AVK: Any experiences you want to share as a 
painter and the learning from them?

VN: While doing very tiny details, it's important to 
keep the brush free of oil since it's difficult to blend 
the lines otherwise.

AVK: There is a remarkable consistency in quality 
in your ability so far- any tips on how to achieve it 
and hold on to it in your own ideas and words?

VN: Thank you. Passion is the key to consistency in
quality. When you are passionate about something, 
consistency in quality comes naturally. I just take it 
one day at a time. No matter what's happening 
around me, whether I am having a bad day or 
whether I am facing problems or people are trying 
to create obstacles or hurdles in my path of progress, 
whatever the situation may be, once I hold the brush 
in my hand, there is no holdingme back. I just forget 
everything and become completely engrossed in my 
painting. Just that first brush stroke on the canvas is 
all I need to fill me with a sense of power, hope and 
optimism that anything is possible and I become 
oblivious to everything else. It is passion that gives 
us the courage to continue regardless of all the 
hurdles around us. When it is our passion that we 
pursue, we are infused with an invincible, bold spirit
and resolve to take on whatever comes our way and 
produce exceptionally brilliant works of high quality.

***

Below are Vinitha’s two works that have already gained her a measure
of fame. The famed Gombrich has said about pictorial realism that a  
"a complete portrayal might be the one which gives as much correct 
information about the spot as we would obtain if we looked at it from 
the very spot where the artist stood." The first still life she did does 
this convincingly for us, but the second one shows such a rapid 
development in showing us the artist in a Bergerian way that we are 
startled by it in a pleasant way. While still in the realist mode the 
question haunt us as to why the ballerina is on the waves and the sky, 
clouds and waves with its sea-green and froth, and her face, dress 
everything melt into an idea that we are in the presence of an artist’s 
inner space and that space has what I would like to point out: 
something I have often been accused of as an Indian poet, which is 
that it is not Indian in any marked way. Vinitha comes from Kerala 
and acknowledges the influence of a painter like Raja Ravi Varma, in 
her interview, but her real influences seem more from surrealism, 
magic realism and the careful juxtaposition of objects that do not 
necessarily belong together to create an effect in the mind of the 
viewer that is actually a reaching out to something new and worth 
following. No wonder success is coming to her quickly. Her first 
painting is a classic and traditional still life but even there its mastery 
reminds us more of a René  Magritte than anyone else and of the 
light used in the realistic Dutch masters of old. Even the objects 
remind us of Eurocentricism. I know many will criticise me for 
praising this quality, but precisely for this reason I want to praise her 
as it seems to me that to do what is alien seemingly better than the 
aliens is as praiseworthy as to do what is cultural as what makes 
painting breathe is how innate its soul is to the artist and here one is 
transnational and it is all about art and not ideology. I make these 
remarks not to interpret her work for the reader but to point out that 
she is worth watching and I await her works of the future that are 
surely going to be less derivative and more experimental eagerly. 
India has produced many great painters but there is always space for 
more and if I am not mistaken she is going to be one, one who to one 
like me who has read critics on art like a Berger and a Hofstadter feels
forced to take an interest in in the hope she will blossom into a painter
of such stature that these critics too would appreciate her works. 
Enough said: see for yourself the two works spoken of and enjoy 
them for yourself now.









8 comments:

  1. Good interview. Both questions and answers are to the point inspiring a further exploring into art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Isaac sir ����

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much, dear Isaac sir

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Saranya Francis

      Delete
    2. Enjoyed your interview. Getting to know the painter adds a dimension too to the painting I believe. Loved both paintings.

      Delete
    3. Very happy to know that. Thank you so much :)

      Delete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?