Sunday, September 9, 2018

Rimli Bhattacharya writes

The slow death


Each time I saw her,

I knew she would win the battle.

It wasn’t true.



The cloths of cold water

That I had placed on her head –

Praying to God for the fever to break.



Did God listen to me?



Yes, He did what I never understood.



Her lips closed her mouth in a thin straight line,

Her undid grey hair was left lose

By the nurses.



“You know I will be leaving soon”

She had said.

I did not care. I did not listen.



“Take me home as I want to cherish

My last days with you and your father.

Your father whom I loved and have spent

Forty one years.

Once I go you will feel the void,

You will feel cheated,

You will not be ready.”



I chose not to believe her.

I kept her in the hospital.

Tubes and masks covered her;

She gasped for breath

As I watched her petrified.



Will she live, I often wondered?



Yet each time I saw her,

I knew she would win the battle.

It wasn’t true.



She left me one day.

Not me, but us –

Me, my daughter and my father.




I was heart broken

So was my piece of world.

The fissures, valleys and also

The fragmented pavements.



Her death had whispered to me;

I should have trusted her.

I should have trusted God.
Madame Mazois on her deathbed | Henri Regnault | oil painting
 Mme Mazois (The Artist's Great-Aunt on her Deathbed) -- Henri Regnault

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?