Saturday, March 21, 2020

Mir-Yashar Seyedbagheri writes

Stardust Dreams


I awaken into stardust dreams, sprinkled upon my ear,

ghost train whistling into the darkening air,

I learn to love, to let loose weary fear.



luster of dreams whispers. a woman in purple nightgown.

voice like too many joints, presses me to tender breast

I awaken into stardust dreams, upon aged ears.



The dreams she sprinkles across my weary age, so close,

so vivid, they consume the chalkboards of my mind,

and I learn to love, to let loose weary fear.



I wander happily in a world of poodle skirts and Elvis,

repression disguised as beauty, and she tucks me tender,

I waken into stardust dreams, sprinkled across my ears.



cue the projection’s rapid switch,

in Russia I wander amongst Tchaikovsky’s Pathetique. Carriage wheels stately.

Madame Pathetique, I learn to love, to let loose weary fear.



morning hisses in my weary ear. Once again.

I become a slave to reality. A rhythm without rhythm,

but tonight, I awaken into stardust dreams upon flesh-worn ears,

and I learn to love, to

let loose weary fear.

Image result for poodle skirt

1 comment:

  1. The poodle skirt is a memorable symbol of 1950s Americana, popular among teenage girls who wore them at school dances or as everyday wear. Older women also wore them, though usually with more elegant abstract patterns and designs. A wide swing felt skirt of a solid color, it displayed a design appliquéd or transferred to the fabric; the design was often a coiffed poodle, but sometimes it was a flamingo, flower, or hot rod car. Hemlines were to the knee or just below it. Juli Lynne was a popular singer during World War II who designed her stage wardrobe even though she could not sew. After the war she married film editor Philip Charlot and decided to enter the fashion business. In 1947 she was invited to a Christmas party in Los Angeles, but her husband was unemployed and she had no money, but her mother owned a felt factory. Since she still did not know how to sew, she cut a circle out of felt, allowing her to make a complete circle skirt without seams, and added some whimsical Christmas motif appliqués. After the holidays she substituted the holiday design with dachshunds and later poodles, and she also added poplin dresses for summerwear.
    The illustration with the poem features Elvis Presley, the "king of rock and roll," who began recording in 1954 and went on to sell 1 billion records and star in 33 films.

    In 1893, 9 days before his death, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky conducted the 1st performance of his Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Opus 74, also known incorrectly as the Pathétique Symphony; it was actually the Pateticheskaya (Russian for passionate/emotional), not the Pathétique (french for solemn/emotive.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?