Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Arlene Corwin writes

I Stopped Being Envious 

I killed my envy-filled green eye
When I beheld the day to day
Recasting of both face and a_s.
That each one changes not just
Year by future year but now and here.
So, on that day, that very minute
Envy went away to stay.

Smallest waistline, glowing skin,
Intelligence so high it whitens out the sky,
The stars and universe:
Blessings all and also curse:
Best to worse the sadly likeliest.

Round twenty-ish
I was no longer jealous -
Drew each atom to a close. 
IQ middling, talents too,
Each one pondered, I felt rosy, 
Grati-satsfied and well-to-do.

Lost all envy when I'd learned
That all things change.
I had discerned 
Release from chain. 
That’s what freedom’s meant to be
For you, for me, for everybody.

There is no competition,
Only similarity and contrast.
No one else is you, and you
Will never be a someone else.
Soothed by sharing, (mostly caring),
Shutting out the envious,
It’s obvious, that you are matchless, unsurpassed -
A one and only without need to be another cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?