Sunday, December 30, 2018

Joan Miró says


In a painting, you should be able to discover new things each time you look at it. For me, a painting must give off sparks. It must dazzle like the beauty of a woman or a poem. The spectacle of the sky overwhelms me. I am overwhelmed when I see a crescent moon or the sun in an immense sky. In my paintings there are often tiny forms in vast empty spaces. Empty spaces, empty horizons, empty plains – everything that has been stripped bare has always made a strong impression on me. For me, an object is a living thing. A form gives me an idea, this idea evokes another form, and everything culminates in figures, animals, and things I had no way of foreseeing in advance. I work in a state of passion, transported. When I stand in front of a canvas, I never know what I’m going to do – and nobody is more surprised than I at what comes out. When I begin a canvas, I’m obeying a physical impulse, the need to throw myself; it’s like a physical outlet. I paint in a frenzy, with real violence so that people will know that I am alive, that I’m breathing, that I still have a few more places to go. I’m heading in new directions. Yes, it took me just a moment to draw this line with the brush. But it took me months, perhaps even years, of reflection to form the idea. What is very important for me is when I work without working …. when I walk, when I do nothing, when I eat. When ideas come to me like that … when it bubbles in my head and in my mind this is what has an enormous importance. I begin my paintings because something jolts me away from reality. This shock can be caused by a little thread that comes loose from the canvas, a drop of water that falls, the fingerprint my thumb leaves on the shiny surface of this table. Simplified as they are, [my figures] are more human and more alive than they would be if represented in all their detail. Represented in detail, they would lose their imaginary quality, which enhances everything. I think of my studio as a vegetable garden, where things follow their natural course. They grow, they ripen. You have to graft. You have to water.  The older I get and the more I master the medium, the more I return to my earliest experiences. I think that at the end of my life I will recover all the force of my childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?