Sunday, April 17, 2016

Arlene Corwin writes



Me Against Them 
(Having looked in the mirror watching the wrinkles wrinkle.)

It’s me against them: 
The muscles, the ligaments, cartilage, skeleton;
Sometimes a treaty, sometimes at war, 
Passive and neutral, blasé, a watcher: overlord
Time. 
All I can do is to keep the war going, battling on;
All that I can; a work to be done. 
All that I ask and a plus and a task.

I have defenses: 
If I sit too long,
The muscles, the ligaments, cartilage, bone 
Enjoin me to get off my bum
And remember it’s me against them: 
Two weapons:
Zeal and will. 
For it I sit too still,
The muscles, the ligaments, cartilage, bone 
Tell me, “War done, you’ve not won,
And that’s that”!

The muscles, the ligaments, cartilage, skeleton; 
Entente or at war,
Always the watcher, their overlord Time. 
Day long,
Will strong, 
Choices endless,
To-do lists in endlessness too.   

Me against them – chumps/victims of time: 
Karma and nature, destiny, deity;
All time companions, 
The war carries on:
Muscles, the ligaments, cartilage, skeleton 
Fading but fighting 
                             to function. 

1 comment:

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?