Saturday, September 23, 2017

Kati Short writes



KOREAN FAREWELL

Today we said goodbye again 
this time to three, two angels 
and a storm. One angel is a 
mediator—mild and gentle, 
sun on a freezing day, rain 
for parched souls. She lives 
with the storm, good of heart, 
yet ever raging to control, 
ever trying to drive out flaws. 
Together they are balanced.

My dear sister-friend another 
angel said goodbye too—off 
for a new adventure, for another 
life. A hole burns in my heart. 
I have lost a piece of me. 
Today the heavens wept.

The rainy season started 
on time this year. Is the 
divine controller weeping too?

The highway was clogged 
a truck tried to visit the 
riverside garden by breaking 
through a guardrail. The 
driver was hurt, the truck 
split. It took two hours to 
drive fifteen miles. 
We drivers wept.

I contemplated my loss 
as I sat and waited. 
I wept.

Later, going sixty miles an hour 
I saw a stainless steel kitchen sink 
right in the middle of the ‘spressway.

I laughed. I must be in Korea.

 

1 comment:

  1. "Taeguk" is the Korean form of the Chinese "Taiji" (supreme ultimate, great pole) and but is used primarily to mean the tijitsu symbol that people commonly associate with the yin and yang. It is prominently displayed on the Korean national flag, designed in the 1880s but has been used throughout Korean written history. In Joseon, the kingdom that was founded in 1392 and lasted until 1905, when Japan imposed protectorate status, it represented local Daoism and Mugyo, the country's shamanistic religion. In addition to the usual interlocking red and blue semicircles, symbolizing earth and heaven, a yellow lobe representing humanity is sometimes added; this symbol was adopted by the Miss Asia Pacific World Beauty Pageant,
    which was hosted in Seoul from its inception in 2011 until 2014, and as part of the official logo of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul; the detached spiral components were also used as the basis for the logo for the 1988 Paralympics, held in parallel with the Olympics for the first time that year.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?