Monday, September 25, 2017

Jon Huer writes


THE SEDUCTION OF JOB: Twenty Years Later   


A Dramatic Poem


CHAPTER EIGHT
Bashana, the avenging maid, laments on love and men.


BASHANA TO SELF:  
How bloodless, how passionless is Job, 
My master and the perfect man of my life;  
I loved him as I love myself, and more, 
When I had hope of him eternally mine;  
But I despise him with all my anger within me 
As I know that it cannot be, now or ever!  
The power of my love for him is so great, 
But the force to wish him destroyed greater still,  
That I eat my anger like my daily bread 
And I sleep my madness beyond all reason!    


Poor Job who is loved and hated so, 
But Bashana who loves him is poorer still!  
I see him in my dreams of sweetness and sorrow, 
And my smiles appear without my consciousness;  
But the dreams are followed by my utter loneliness, 
And loneliness by my anger and rage renewed  
For his destruction from his own high stature, 
His devastation beyond all measures of recovery,  
And humiliation by the rod of his own righteousness!   


What is the nature of my love for this man  
That distorts my vision and takes away my strength 
To reason with my anger and control my rage,  
And to hear the voice of calm that should be heard? 
Why do I love him so until I am breathless  
And despise him so to call upon heaven for vengeance? 
The power of my love that is beyond measure  
Is overcome by the force of my anger, stronger still, 
That torments me with the demonic whisper:  Revenge!  
As my love's power and my hate's force combine 
To blind all my sense and darken all my reason  
I am no longer my own person, but a stranger, 
Driven only by mad love and wild hate!    


O Job, if you could be mine and mine alone, 
To be in my arms at the dawn of the day  
And to be in my presence as the darkness falls; 
Or if the garden of your love could bloom again  
To fill hell's emptiness with heaven's treasure 
And to erase the void in my obstinate heart,  
God would save me from this madness and fury 
From loving you so blindly, and hating you so morbidly!    


I am smothered by the power of love uncontrollable 
And exhausted by the force of hate raging within me!  
The wheel of love and hate, tenderness and wrath, 
Turns endlessly, and I spin with it!    


O Job, you found me fetching and fair 
And my words of praise flattering and pleasing  
To all your vainglory and manly blood, 
Falling headlong in your passions and errors‑‑  
Yet when the time of reckoning came calling 
You deserted me in favor of loyalty and tradition  
To your society, and to your wife and family, 
Forsaking me and abandoning my love  
As if there mattered neither the memory of your passions 
Nor the burden of your errors to remember,  
As if nothing of any consequence ever happened!   


O Job, how I hate your society that applauds tradition  
For the established manners of goodness and faith, 
And how I despise your wife and family  
That demand loyalty to public vows and bloodlines! 
Having neither the society to uphold and mind,  
Nor the family and bloodlines to which to return 
For protection and consolation after the deed is done,  
I see nothing but the fury of my heart 
And hear none other than the cry of its rage!               


O Job, you cruel and heartless man, 
Like all other cruel and heartless men before,  
With little or no understanding of women 
Whose soul of love that can melt steel and silver  
Can also turn into the fiery furnace of hate, 
Whose heart of affection that fears no death  
Can also call upon hell's revenge when betrayed! 
The gods created men of cruelty and heartlessness  
And women of infinite love and exquisite hate 
Perhaps as players in a never‑ending drama  
For celestial amusement and story‑telling. 
But my love's tale unfolds in pain and sorrow,  
And my hate's drama in vengeance and destruction!   


Tomorrow I shall visit the king's chief counsel  
And tell my story of scorn and betrayal 
Committed by the greatest man of his land,  
The renown sage and wise man, Master Job!


 After William Blake | 1757-1827 | Lot's Wife | The Morgan Library & Museum

 Lot's Wife -- after William Blake

1 comment:

  1. Lot (“veil, covering”) accompanied his uncle Abraham from Ur of the Chaldees to Canaan. Later they separated, with Abraham in the Hebron area and Lot across the Jordan river in the vicinity of Sodom and Gomorrah. (According to Muslims, he was sent there to serve there as a prophet.) When God destroyed the cities on the plaIn for their wickedness, angels told Lot, "Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.” But his unnamed wife “looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.” (She was called Ado or Edith in some Jewish traditions.)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?