Thursday, October 18, 2018

Rocco de Giacomo writes


The Book of Tiny Revelations

1.
It was my Dad’s fault. I don't remember much 
about the car that hit ours - totally his fault - but
the couple inside were middle-aged, and each
had the look of one who'd spent the night
on a friend's couch, something I noticed
in the aftermath; all of us on the side
of the road, wearing coats like corn husks,
mouths open, palms out. (It really happened
in the heat of summer, but winter is memory’s
season for car accidents.) I know this. 

2.
Our wheel on the driver's side hits gravel
and snow - at this point, it's been a long time
since we crossed the yellow median. My Dad
has been gripping the dash for years, gritting
his teeth for centuries, and the trespasses
of my driving - let’s be honest -  date back
to the Crucifixion. Needless, it’s been a long wait
on this precipice together, and it will be a while yet
before the car’s undercarriage makes contact
with the far side of the ditch, and our dogs
are launched headfirst over the backrests,
and my hot chocolate rises from my cup
in the form of zero-gravity globules; I
confuse it all for my blood.
 
3.
I am sixteen, a social outcast in the most
un-Hollywood ways; neither brave nor hygienic,
(a John Hughes film with grimy teeth and body
odour); I will never appear in the Technicolor section
of any yearbook. My father - like myself,
but with chutzpah, charisma and a steak-knife
in his bureau drawer - settles the matter of the two cars
in the ditch by turning stones into warm bread.
Well, what am I gonna do with this kid,
beat him? He talks, he kneads, with his hands. Our cars
are pulled onto the road. They're having an affair,
Dad winks devilishly. It takes me another
twenty minutes to understand why no one's called
the police. I am the Lamb of God.

4.
In my life, there must have been a moment when
I realized what exactly Mary Magdalene did
for a living, but I don't remember; it was something
that caused my mother to click her tongue
as she loaded the oven. Christmas TV specials
always showed chubby Southern Italian men
sneaking from Mary's tawdry little shack. Now
I think of those men who first wrote her up
as such; a gaggle of pimpled virgins (hostile
shrivelled penises under silk robes) in a room
not unlike Wilma Flinstone's kitchen. The Messiah
would never have such relations! They announce,
hands clutching skywards, their fingers two thousand
years shy of the stock and grip of an AK47
(You, my boy, are very special; you are
God's one and only).

5.
Jesus’ wife has been throwing forgotten articles
of clothing down onto the bald heads
of shame-faced men for centuries, but don't
tell the Son of Man. At 16, I am Him, a lamb
on the side of the road, palms open. My father
is in the details. They’re having an affair,
he whispers. And with that, if anything, come
my first doubts - mortal ones - about Kingdom come,
the white horse my mother promised
and my chances of becoming Prime Minister.    
 Vlcsnap-2015-07-27-04h01m06s405
 Wilma Flintstone -- William Hanna & Joseph Barbera

2 comments:

  1. Wilma Flintstone was the wife of caveman Fred Flintstone in the Hanna-Barbera animated TV series "The Flintstones," which aired in prime time from 1960 to 1966 and was then syndicated until 1997 before becoming a staple on cable television. Jean Vander Pyl provided her voice, and Kenneth Muse provided the animation. "Wilma" means "resolute protector."

    Mary Magdalene (probably from Magdala on the Sea of Galillee) was one of Jesus' followers who witnessed his crucifixion and burial, the 1st to witness that his tomb was empty, and the 1st to testify to his resurrection, so she became known as the "apostle to the apostles." In 591 pope Gregorius I conflated with both Mary of Bethany and with an unnamed "sinful woman" who annointed Jesus' feet, thus acquiring a reputation as a repentant prostitute. In the early centuries after the death of Jesus she was also the subject of many Gnostic writings that claimed to reveal secret, esoteric teachings, of which she was the one who best understood them. In the 3rd-century Coptic "Gospel of Philip," in particular, she was regarded as a model of gnosticism due to her femininity. She was described as the "koinonos" of Jesus -- the word had a range of meanings, from "companion" to "spouse." According to the manuscript, "As for Wisdom who is called "the barren", she is the mother [of the] angels. And the companion of the [...] Mary Magdalene. [... loved] her more than [all] the disciples [and used to] kiss her [often] on her [...]. The rest of [the disciples...] They said to him, "Why do you love her more than all of us?" The Savior answered and said to them, "Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees are both together in the darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness." The book ends, "if anyone becomes a 'son of the bridechamber' he will receive the Light.... It is revealed to him alone, since it is not hidden in darkness and night but is hidden in a perfect Day and a holy Night." These obscure passages led to the pernsistent belief that Jesus and Mary were marrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Hughes was an American filmmaker best known for his comedies such as the "National Lampoon" series (1983-1989), "The Breakfast Club" (1985), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1987), and "Home Alone" (1990). After dropping out of university he sold jokes to well-known comedians and then worked in advertising before writing for the satirical "National Lampoon" magazine; his 1st story was "Vacation '58," which became the basis for the later "Vacation" films.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?