Friday, October 19, 2018

Joy V. Sheridan writes


Love by Proxy

He comes to me on the midnight hour
Filling the air with a rhapsody
Filling me with his strange desire –
A ship on an ocean of amorous fire

He hovers like a dragonfly
Upon a placid stretch
Relaying the passages
He hasn’t spoken yet
Like a creature of fable
A god of the skies
Higher than Icarus

His golden lullabies
Would lull me to slumber
As he touches my cheek,
Lays his head on my shoulder
So trusting, mild and meek

Then, with an ardour that evades all space
He is the metaphysical traveller
Searching for my face

On the outlines of flowers
In the bowers on high
He lifts me to his kingdom –
Cupid’s soft sigh,
Transports us airborne
On invisible, celestial wings
Floating high over places
Which make his heart sing

With the melodies of mountains,
The undulating plain –
A lover after midnight
Whom I wouldn’t dare name

High we fly over hill and crest
Purple lagoons – dreaming in tenderness;
He binds orchids in my hair
And covers me in balms,
Gentle as the zephyr
The rustling of palms –

We swoop and sway
Above a desert reach;
He shows me the arbours
Where Venus tends the peach
Roses tumble from his brilliant eyes –
Chimes in the skies

Ribbons waft like streamers of sun
Oh come tonight, my immortal one!
Down we swam like racers on the tides,
Down to woodlands
Where the milk white moon rides –

A silver chariot
In the azure of the deep,
Evergreens and glades
In the vale before sleep;
Bluebells peeped beneath a drift
Of languor’s kissing
His soft and tender lips

Maidens in villages by coral reef
Made garlands of amber
Threaded with fresh green leaf –
Made nectars of longings
Which they placed on the sands.
Knowing of his passage
Who could create desire
In any woman!

Fast we flew through morning skies
To palaces he gave me
With a caressing of his eye,
Pendants blowing on the breeze –
Unicorns grazing,
The drone of lazy bees –
Grapes clustered,
Bigger than my hand –
Flowers growing
Which grew not in mortal lands –
Perfumes issued with the turning of a leaf,
Sweet musics played for light relief

Halls were filled
With wondrous things
An infant shimmered
From a golden ring
An owl danced, and joyfully did sing,
A swan juggled with butterflies –
Such incredible things!

He comes to me on the midnight hour
This strange, beautiful god
With his heart of desire
And his ceaseless yearnings
And his misunderstood being –
Amour’s master, who moves faster
Than the arrow of a thought. 
Image result for ocean on fire paintings
Boat on Fire --  Mademoiselle Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?