Sunday, March 10, 2019

David Allen writes


GOOD MORNING

Good morning
I awake and kiss you lightly on the cheek
            (your pillow is bare)
And softly stroke your long, brown hair.
You turn in bed to face me
Looking into my eyes with eyes
I love to drown my soul in
(there’s but one body’s impression
there’s but one side of the bed to make).

I whisper softly that I love you
The radio answers with a song
(I leave it playing all night long
to accompany this loneliness).

I start to leave; you reach for my hand,
We touch
(the air is not as soft)
You pull me to your side
(I stare at the pillow)
I take your head in my hands
We kiss,
Wine sweet.

The taste turns bitter
You slowly dissolve
Parts of you breaking apart
A jigsaw puzzle
I scream
I pick up the pieces of you
And start to glue
But the head’s on backwards.

My dog jumps on the bed
Scattering you around the room
On my knees I search for you
My dog licks my face
My eyes lose their sleep
I awake.

There is no puzzle
My dog sleeps, head nuzzled
In the crook of my arm
You are at home
Unaware that for a while
We made love in
The life of my night.

 IMG_2760
 A Lonely Bed -- Marianne Waud

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?