Thursday, November 9, 2017

Peter Wodarz writes



The Sun Set, And Then, in the Morning, It Rose, Book I, Chapter 1: The Bitch, the Bastard, and the Housewife

Section 4

Makoto lay on their futon with a cold wet towel covering his face. He could hear Mariko in the bathroom brushing her teeth. Then she used the toilet. She entered the bedroom and lay next to him. She had left the hallway light on. He thought about getting up to turn it off, but he felt as if he couldn`t move. They lay silent side by side for a very long time.

“Are you going to see her anymore?”

He sighed heavily. “Of course not. I ended it.”

“But you were with her tonight. She said so.”

“Yes, but nothing happened. I told you. It`s over.”

“I don`t believe you.”

“Then don`t.”

“I`m trying to hate you.”

“Then do. I deserve it.”

His face and hands and head ached terribly; he didn`t feel like talking anymore. He lifted the small towel and looked to see how much blood was on it. He repositioned it. He tried to bring on sleep, but after a minute, Mariko pulled off the towel. She propped herself up on an elbow and looked at him.
“Did you have sex with her tonight?”

“Of course not.”

“How do I know?”

“I stole her clothes.”

“You mean she was naked?”

“I made her take off her clothes.”

“What did you do with them?”

“I threw them into the bay. I had the taxi stop on the Bay Bridge. The driver thought I was insane. He wouldn`t stop. I had to pay him an extra 10,000 yen.” He turned his head and looked into Mariko`s eyes. “I am insane. You`re insane too.”

He could see from the faint glow of the light that she was repressing a smile.

“Where were you?”

“At a love hotel.”

“And you took off her clothes?”

“No. I told her to take off her clothes.”

“Then you took them and walked out the door, just like that?”

“More or less, that`s what happened.”

For a minute, Mariko looked at him incredulously; she seemed to be pondering the incredible nature of the story. Finally, she said, “You look awful.”

“I feel awful.”

“I hit you pretty hard, didn`t I?”

“Yes. But you always hit me hard.”

“I never hit you before in my life!”

“You hit me when we make love. You hit me pretty hard. That is, when you are on top of me.” She considered him for another minute before lying down again. They both looked up at the ceiling.

“Can I have the towel back now?”

“No.”

“Can we sleep now?”

“No.”

“I`m dead tired, Mariko-chan.”

“I`m thinking.”

“Okay. You think about whatever you`re thinking about, and I`m going to think about sleep.” He closed his eyes.

“Do I really hit you when we make love?”

“Sort of.”

“Does it hurt?”

“Of course not.”

“Did it feel good when I hit you tonight?”

“In a way.”

“But it hurts now?”

“Yes. It hurts a lot.”

“I`m sorry.”

“Me too.”

“But it was your fault.”

“It`s all my fault.”

“Then don`t do such awful things! Above all, don`t speak English anymore, and don`t call me Mary!” She blurted out these final words and quickly rolled on her side so her back was to her husband.
Makoto had nearly fallen asleep, but then he remembered that Mariko was pregnant. “When is the baby due?” he asked.

“I`m sleeping.” She sounded wide awake.

Slowly, painfully, Makoto hoisted himself up and left the room. He returned after drinking some water and after turning off the hallway light. Under the comforter, Mariko remained in the same position. With a groan, he lay down on his back next to her.

After his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he reached over and touched Mariko`s side. She slapped away his hand and slid a few centimeters further away.

“How long are you going to be angry?”

“I`m sleeping.”

“I was just wondering.”

A minute later, he tried another approach. “What`s your father going to say when he sees me next week?”

She remained silent. There was only a foot between the newlyweds, but to Makoto, the space felt like a valley. But soon he fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?