Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Jeremy Seligson writes

Froggie Bottoms


Growing up in Washington, D.C., I couldn't go out and find any tribes of Indians living in a state of nature, although as a child I often wished to run away and join one. Nor could I locate any as an adult. But, each spring and summer, I did find frogs nearby in Rock Creek Park. They were the closest I could get to a tribe, one I could observe and sometimes be given their company.

Later, moving to a hillside in Seoul, South Korea, I was thrilled by the sounds of frogs playing music up in the woods, inside and around a pond. Instead of a bar or club I'd climb up there in the middle of the night for real entertainment. Join us!

 

1 9 5 3

Rock Creek Park

Scooping
frog eggs
into jar

jar gets
frothy in
Pop’s garage,

“Dump it out!,”
cries Mom

Tiny frogs
flicker tails

One hops
out of jar
into a joyful
turtle’s beak

One winter,
climb
neighbor’s 
wall

dig frog
out of

swimming
pool’s ice


Bullfrog cut
open with

manicure
scissor

wins
“Honorable
Mention”

at school
Science Fair
                                                                  


 --Ed Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?