Friday, March 11, 2016

Learnmore Edwin Zvada writes



Calypso Lady


Calypso Lady, you are the rare form of a belle
My awe rests on your bosom…tender and youthful
A lackadaisical promenade waltzing before my drooling eyeballs,
The toss-and-turning of my pupillage up and about your curvature
Drunkenly stooped at the perfect standing of your beauty,
My soul drools love and lust as I stagger toward your bearing
Star of my existence, from where do you come to contain me?
Moon-faced mademoiselle, for how much longer can I keep my sanity before your agonizing beauty?
My romantic demigod, you take everything, like the deep blue sea
You throw me around you, like little balls of plasticine, I stick therein
You hold my breath, I taste your lips
I almost hear you plead, I almost taste a few syllables, I almost swallow your voice  
It’s a still birthed whisper...almost a sigh,
That composed conference betwixt varied breaths and still silence
I swarm on it, as your warm breath bounces back on mine
Such athletic prowess on the pitch of love
I have not desired anything so much as the serenity of your stare
When you break on me like a perilous syndrome
When you unleash your fire on me like a virus
How contagious you make me feel!
The rhythm springs forth...the tempo of it rises with the curving of your smile
Up the heavens we climb, you and I, resting betwixt cloud nine and some other aggregate
Right there I surrender to you in the most candid way 
How can I be this defenceless, this loose like a thread-less nut?
Soon I'm to sneak to you like a sniper readying for a kill
Very soon I'm to caress you, in secret, like a diseased thigh
So that my manners could never tell I'm this weak
So that inside me a room might be furnished for when you come to complete me  
  
The Cluttered Room -- Louis Delegato

1 comment:

  1. Kalypsō (Calypso)was the daughter of Atlas, the Titan god of endurance and astronomy whom Zeus had condemned to stand at the western edge of Gaia (the Earth) and hold the heavens on his shoulders, though she may also have been one of the Oceanids, the 3,000 daughters of the Titans Oceanus (Ōkeanós, the divine personification of the world-encircling river which we call the sea) and Tethys (a sea goddess who embodied the waters of the world), or one of the 50 Nereids, the daughters of Nereus (the eldest son of Pontus, the sea, and Gaia) and Doris
    (another Oceanid, whose name represented the bounty of the sea). (With the Greeks, paternity was often a matter of dispute!) Her name derived from "kalyptō" ("to cover, conceal, hide, deceive"); according to the "Etymologicum Magnum," the Greek lexical encyclopedia compiled around 1150, her name means "kalýptousa to dianooúmenon" (concealing the knowledge"), and (for largely metric reasons) Homer used the epithet "dolóessa" (subtle or wily) to describe her. Her home was the island Ogygia, which is derived from the Proto-Indo-European "ḱel," thus making it cognate with the English word "Hell." When Odysseus stopped at her island on his way home from the Trojan War, she enchanted him with her singing as she moved to and fro while weaving on her loom with a golden shuttle, thus keeping him captive for seven years (according to Homer; 5 years according to Pseudo-Apollodorus; one year according to Hyginus). Athena intervened with Zeus to end the situation, who sent Hermes to order Calypso to set him free since it was not his destiny to live with her forever. After his departure she bore his son Latinus (who hosted Aeneas's army of exiled Trojans and offered to resettle them in Latium. His daughter Lavinia married Aeneas, and their son Ascanius founded Alba Longa and was the first in a series of rulers leading to Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, and eventually to Julius Caesar.) [In most accounts, however, Latinus was the son of Odysseus and another lover, Circe of Aeaea, the daughter of the son god Helios and another Oceanid, Perse, whom Odysseus bedded as part of his plan to free his men from her magic.] Hesiod claimed that Calypso bore Odysseus two children, Nausithous and Nausinous; but according to Hyginus, Nausithous' brother was Telegonus. Accordng to the "Telegony," an early Greek epic attributed to Eugamon or Eugammon of Cyrene, Circe sent Telegonus to find Odysseus (the confusion between Calypso and Circe continued in the minds of the Greek writers). When he arrived in Ithaca, Odysseus' kingdom, he mistakenly believed it was Corcyra (Corfu) and began to plunder it, then accidentally killed his father with the spine of a stingray. He took the corpse back to Aeaea, along with his widow Penelope and son Telemachus, and Circe gave them immortality; she then married Telemachus, and Telegonus married Penelope and fathered Italus, who became the ruler of the Oenotrians, among the earliest inhabitants of Italy, and converted them from a pastoral culture to an agricultural one and gave them various laws.
    In "Odysseus Acanthoplex," a lost tragedy by Sophocles, an oracle told that he would be killed by his son, so he exiled Telemachus; when Telegonus arrived on Ithaca, Odysseus' guards refused to admit him to the king's home and a commotion ensued; Odysseus mistook the visitor for Telemachus and was slain in the fracas by Telegonus.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?