Thursday, August 4, 2016

James Babbs writes



Just Like That

it’s Saturday night
but I’m not at home
I’m not out at the bars
getting drunk again
oh, no
I’m at the nursing home
visiting my mother and
I don’t want to be here and
I know
she doesn’t want to be here
but here we are
just a few short months ago
she was living in her own apartment
keeping track of her own medicines and
cooking
most of her own meals
yes, it’s true
she had a woman come
three days a week to help her
but she was doing okay and
things can change in an instant
sometimes
no matter what we do
we can never know
what’s waiting for us
just around the corner and
sometimes
after everything that happens
it can take us years
before we begin to understand


 Old Woman -- Kurt Peiser

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?