Thursday, November 8, 2018

George Reece composes

Into My Heart

Tom Ensing (director, editor)
Eilidh Gow (additional cinematography)

I'm not the smartest guy, and Danny Boy always makes me cry. 
You knock me down and blow me away. 
I feel like I wanna tell you everything, 
But whatever I say you just run around and laugh and dance and sing. 
You get in trouble, you break the rules, 
And that's just about my favourite thing you do. 

Sometimes you come around late at night, 
Your skin is cold but your eyes are bright. 
I'll hold you closer than this. 
You tell me how it's come to be, 
That everything you love is gone for free. 
Nowhere to go, I'm such a fool, 
And I say, "Baby, I may not be as smart as you, 

"But if there's anything I know, 
It's that there's always one place you can go, 
And that's straight into my heart." 

If ever you should think of me, and cast your mind back endlessly, 
You don't have to cry, or wish I was there, 
'Cause we're together every day in everything we do and everything we say. 
I may be blind. I may be deaf. I may be dumber than anyone you ever met, 

But if there's anything I know, 
It's that there's always one place you can go, 
And that's straight into my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. Ruaidhrí Dall ("Blind Rory) Ó Catháin was a 17th-century Irish harper from Keenaght, a barony whose name was derived from "Cianachta" (the race of Cain), which is in modern Londonderry. He claimed that a tune came to him in a dream. The tune was heard in Limavady, in the same county, by music collector Jane Ross, and George Petrie published it in "The Ancient Music of Ireland" in 1855. A 1/4 century later Alfred Perceval Graves (the father of Robert Graves) composed lyrics to the song and called it "Would I Were Erin's Apple-Blossom o'er You." Katherine Tynan, who wrote over 100 novels and may have rejected a marriage proposal from William Butler Yeats) set one of her poems, "Irish Love Song," to the melody in 1894 and renamed it "Londonderry Air." Several other lyricists used the tune for their own creations, but, in 1913 Margaret Weatherly, in the US, sent the Tynan song to her brother-in-law Frederic, an English lawyer who wrote at last 3,000 songs. He revised a set of lyrics he had written in 1910 to fit "Londonderry Air," resulting in "Danny Boy." The song was popularized by the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company singer Elsie Griffin before German-American opera singer Ernestine Schumann-Heink recorded it in 1915.


    Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
    From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
    The summer's gone, and all the roses falling,
    It's you, it's you must go and I must bide.
    But come ye back when summer's in the meadow,
    Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow,
    It's I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow,
    Oh, Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so!
    But when ye come, and all the flowers are dying,
    If I am dead, as dead I well may be,
    You'll come and find the place where I am lying,
    And kneel and say an Ave there for me.
    And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me,
    And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be,
    For you will bend and tell me that you love me,
    And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?