Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Arlene Corwin writes

The Personal Joys Of Ageing 

I enjoy not being steered by ardour’s horny drive,
The appetite for lots of food and varied such:
I enjoy not wanting much of much
Which qualities all counteract, exacerbate
The facts of fate.

It’s late. 
I cannot sleep
But revel in the hours I keep.
Awake at night,
It is a most creative time to write.

In younger days there was so much I’d have denied,
Tried to get out of, lied about,
Taboos and mores* certifying,
Classifying wrong and right.

Sleep, food, sex vacate the drives,
Each space replaced by something fitter.
Without daily nose dives
Life is definitely better.
                                                       
Say, dear reader
What you’re free from.
I would love to hear from
Any reader sitting there.
 
*mores (pronounced morays) customs, conventions, ways, way of life, way of doing things, traditions, practices, custom and practice, procedures, habits, usages; formal praxis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?