Saturday, January 6, 2018

Marianne Szlyk writes



Within the Realm of Bagels

The yoga teacher lights incense
to dispel the scent of
bagels baking below. 
For a moment I imagine

having stayed on in Queens,
having grown a harder shell,
a mint-green spring raincoat, makeup,
willingness to do aerobics even
if I hated the music,
hated the sweatbands and shorts.

I picture myself living
in a studio, a niche
in a knick-knack cabinet
of plaster figures: the social worker
married to her job, the teacher
with his backpack of papers,
the accountant retired at fifty.
Would I be here now,
following the incense’s wavering scent,
following my breath. 

Or would I be below, breathless in
a twenty-year old spring raincoat,
sipping black coffee to remain
within the realm of bagels.










Jacob Dhein | Modern Impressionist Figure/Cityscape painter.Central Market Deli 2 -- Jacob Dhein

4 comments:

  1. Queens is the easternmost and largest of the 5 boroughs that comprise new York. It is also the same thing as Queens county, the largest in the state except its neighboring borough/county, Brooklyn. The boroughs consolidated in 1898, but if they were still independent only Los Angeles, Chicago, and Brooklyn would be larger cities in the US. It is the most ethnically diverse urban area in the world, and 48% of its inhabitants are foreign-born. It was founded in 1683 as one of the province of New York's 12 original counties, named after Charles II's wife Catarina de Bragança. The 1st "delicatessen" in New York was mentioned in 1885; the French word "délicatesse" (delicious things to eat) was adapted into German (the American short form, "deli," came into existence in 1954. The stores 1st appeared in New York to cater to German immigrants, but as the German-Jewish population grew they became mainly associated with the Ashkenazim; the 1st kosher deli in New York was founded in 1889. "Kosher" is the Yiddish pronunciation of the Hebrew "kasher" [fit]; a bagel ("baygl" in Yiddish) is a ring-shaped bread originating in Poland which is boiled before being baked; it came from the German "beugel" (ring or bracelet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in Brooklyn, I lived in Queens, I'm Jewish, I'm a yogini, I adore your poem and the abso -tively perfect choice of illustration (bless that Duane Vorhees). And, living in Sweden, I miss New York bagels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Arlene. I'm so glad that you adore my poem! Where in Queens did you live? I lived for an amazingly short time on Metropolitan Ave. in Kew Gardens/Richmond Hill.

      Delete
  3. Great imagery embedded in the dilemma. However, having spent many a day in Queensborough bakeries (including Walkens in Astoria), I'll opt for the bagels every time!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?