Thursday, April 11, 2019

Gabriella Garofalo writes

I saw a dead bee on the floor, 
The ambivalent sky mocking her snuffed-out wings 
In a sunset syndrome - 
Spiders much faster, 
Unless you sweep the cobwebs off the walls 
They can live on - 
Not a leaf, not a whisper, 
Not even the first white page of a book, 
A bee, it was a bee, the very first moment 
I saw it I knew: 
I’d be sold down the river - 
I know, they taught me there’s blood in my veins, 
Blood in yours, but what blood? 
Afraid I’ve got only a virus, a shadow and a tree 
Ever since those two stares
Let the oceans overflow, 
Ever since love thrust me out 
To a blotchy room, maybe the souls 
Who believe in love and oceans 
Balled it up, maybe those who scream
It’s only sex and puddles - 
Long story short, you’re still there, 
My dead bee, my memento on the floor 
While the sky blinds himself in a fit of rage, 
While I make my mind a jade - 
Yes, I’d ache to be like a Theban king, sadly I’m not - 
Because that’s the blood running in my veins. 
Image result for dead bee paintings

1 comment:

  1. Waset, the City of the Scepter of the Pharaohs, was also known as the City of Amun (called No' 'Amon in the Book of Nahum, and No in the Books of Ezekiel and Jeremiah). The Greeks referred to it as "ta Opet" (which is the source of the latinized Koine Greek "Thebes"), but that was actually the name of the Karnak temple complex on the city's northeast bank. Its ruins are within the modern Egyptian city of Luxor. The honey bee was associated with Egyptian royalty and was the symbol of the King of Lower Egypt (the are where the Nile flows into the Mediterranean). Honey was used to sweeten food, prevent infection by placing it on wounds,and as payment for taxes or tribute (as when Thutmose II conquered the Retrnu people of Syria); a marriage contract declared, "I take thee to wife... and promise to deliver to thee yearly twelve jars of honey." Honey and beeswax were also used for religious purposes. Jars of honey were left in tombs so the dead wold have something to eat in the afterlife. Mummies were sometimes embalmed in honey, and sarcophagi sealed with beeswax. The ka (that part of a person which continues after death) took the form of a bee. Bees were created from the tears of the sun god Ra, the creator of the earth and the sea. "When Ra weeps again the water which flows from his eyes upon the ground turns into working bees. They work in flowers and trees of every kind and wax and honey come into being," according to the salt Magical Papyrus. The "Book of "Am-Tuat" (the underworld that the boat of Ra traverses during the night hours) says poetically, "This god crieth out to their souls after he hath entered the city of the gods who are on their sand, and there are heard the voices of those who are shut in this circle which are like [the hum] of many bees of honey when their souls cry out to Ra."

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?