Friday, October 6, 2017

Jon Huer writes



THE SEDUCTION OF JOB: Twenty Years Later   

A Dramatic Poem



CHAPTER NINETEEN
Zorah expresses her feelings toward God, Bashana, and Job.

ZORAH TO SELF: 
O God Who is almighty and merciful, 
Why has He chosen my husband for His sacrifice, 
Of all the prayerful souls to suit His purpose? 
Why is He forsaking me, His poor handmaid, 
By taking my husband away from me? 
Am I selfish to put the thought of myself first, 
Above God Almighty and His heavenly design? 
Why must I wallow in a widow's mourning
When the angels welcome a sinner to their fold?     


O Lord, explain to me, this humble woman, 
The vast difference since the beginning of time
Between men's celestial conceptions of salvation 
And women's earth‑bound thoughts of happiness, 
Between their enthusiasm to grasp the universe whole 
And our desire for heaven in the this‑worldly mates, 
Between men's search for penance in the highest order 
And women's easy satisfaction with the here and now!   


O Almighty, make the signs clear to me; 
Then I shall understand and cease to mourn: 
Why Job's sin is washed with the tears of my sorrow 
And his soul regained with the treasures of my comfort; 
Why you pluck him from the multitude of sinners 
So that his wife must live a widow's death; 
And why Your will and his glad acquiescence 
Only cause grief in me, not heavenly rejoicing! 
In my simple and humble mind, I am vexed 
Why Job cannot do an ordinary man's penance 
For his average man's sin and violation 
Without reaching for greatness even in repenting, 
Or imitating angels and saints to become one!     


O Bashana, my sister in anger and sorrow 
And my adversary for the man we both love, 
Now that Job pledges to become a man of prayer 
And a pilgrim in penance we must look to God 
To sort out our tangled souls and confounded spirits, 
For we were privileged to have walked in his shadow 
And cursed to have shared his bosom and wisdom!   


O Bashana, you came into my life unannounced 
And, turning my sweetly uneventful world up side down, 
Vanished, leaving questions unanswered, sorrows unresolved,  
To your heart's content and soul's fulfillment! 
With your youth and beauty that I no longer possess 
You conquered my husband in his moments of weakness 
And ruined his life and wrecked my faith
 So that you laugh a triumphant laugh by day 
And by night you dance a victor's joyous dance, 
Celebrating what your vaunted powers have wrought!   


Or, Bashana, my sister in our common sufferance, 
Are you also lost in the company of your loneliness 
And grieving in the chorus of your own sighs, 
Wondering about the wreckage of your powers, 
And the ruined lives, including your own, 
That lie on the trail of sorrow and vexation 
As a reminder of our follies and indulgences


O Bashana, a new victim, another number added 
To the countless tales of women betrayed in love 
By their men's passions and their own errors, 
To the endless replays of youth and affection, 
Of beauty's power and reason's powerlessness, 
Of seductions tempestuous and aftermaths lamentable   
Both for the woman who departs and fades 
And for the woman who stays and mourns, 
With the memory stubborn, the deed unforgiven!   


O Job, you aspiring martyr and saint, 
You selfish husband and uncaring father, 
In your urgency to purify your scarlet soul 
And to cleanse your tarnished heart once good 
Of all the sins of men and of this world, 
You are ready to commit another sin, bigger still, 
Of abandoning those of your flesh and blood! 
O Job, in your zeal to touch God and angels 
You abdicate your earthly duties and callings 
And forsake those who love and depend on you! 
Now your salvation and redemption claim another victim 
Whose heart must break so that you are saved, 
And whose cries go unheard as a saint is born! 
Who can say that your paradise is not my inferno?   


O Job, God's servant in fervent waiting, 
To shed his blood so that his sin is forgiven 
And inflict pain on his flesh so that he lives! 
He sinned in the small yardstick of foolish men 
But he repents in the fathoms of God's standard, 
Measuring the Almighty's thundering Commandments 
Against the whimpering of a grasshopper who broke them!   


O Job, why must you soar like an angel 
When your home is here on earth with us, 
Where your sin is forgiven, its price paid, 
In your true prayer and your daily penance, 
Where your renewed happiness is to be found 
In me and in our love, simple and sweet, 
Without the dead weight of martyrdom and sainthood?   


O Job, perhaps I do not comprehend 
The mysteries of God speaking to His chosen ones 
And how He favors them with the furnace of affliction. 
You have been selected to do heaven's work for Him 
As He has seen me fit to do my own part 
In a humble way but to make the whole possible 
So that all things, great and small, serve Him.   


O Job, in love I will hold my peace, 
For nothing of this world shall equal my passion, 
But God's command is greater still. 
In tears and sighs I will forever call to you, 
But in prayer and penance shall I rejoice 
As you are within sight of the heavenly exaltation 
On the wings of my weeping and hope!
 
-- William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?