Friday, September 7, 2018

Robbie Masso writes


the poems that talk about struggle

I’m reading Bukowski
alone
while my girlfriend is at a concert

and I’m realizing that I love
the poems
that talk
about struggle,
          confrontation,
          the poor,
          the broken,
          the ghetto,

and I look outside
and see that it’s getting dark.

I think about taking a walk
around town.

Maybe I’ll share a cigarette
with a poor
           broken
           ghetto
           struggler,

maybe we’ll have a confrontation,
maybe I’ll get a poem.

I think about it,

don’t do it,

and stay comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. In 1976 Charles Bukowski said, "Poetry is a poor country without any boundaries. It’s open to all kinds of fools. All the poet has is his shitty little poem and his point of view. It’s like being on a bar stool, but with a piece of paper in your hand instead of a drink. You shout and scream and you hope someone will notice you. Poets dazzle, but often their best stuff is written in bitchy essays about what art is! When people call me a poet, it makes me want to vomit. I’m a writer!”

    Writing

    often it is the only
    thing
    between you and
    impossibility.
    no drink,
    no woman’s love,
    no wealth
    can
    match it.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?