Thursday, September 6, 2018

George Onsy writes and paints

FROM DEATH TO HIS WORST ENEMY - 3
My name is DEATH,
So they call me,
So they fear me.
But how dare you,
Tiniest poet
Of Nile Valley,
Openly challenge
My very existence?
Don’t you see
How I spread
My net wide
So I can all that
Mortals have gathered
Into my stores hide?
And what makes me
Laugh most
Is when they'll claim
Their things back
And I simply say:
I had all my keys lost.
And I politely reply,
Dear DEATH Sir,
I do understand
What you’re
Trying to tell
Yet, even if I had
To buy
What this world
Used to sell
I’ve come to realize
That it’s in vain
To grip and collect.
Except what’s lasting
I’ve never been
Keen to select.

 

1 comment:

  1. George comments: "This poem is with my painting: MAN’S LIFE JOURNEY - Where one will leave behind all what's been gathered to fall into Anupis' net."

    Anubis was the Greek name for "Anpu" (related to the verb "to decay"), the Egyptian god associated with the afterlife. Early on he was depicted as a protector of graves and the inventor of embalming, but when he was replaced as lord of the underworld by his father Osiris he took the role of ushering the ka and the ba into the Kingdom of the Dead. (Parts of the soul, the la was a body double and the bas was the personality.) The heart, where the soul resided, was weighed against an ostrich feather; if it balanced the sales it was allowed to proceed to the field of Aaru (reeds) and exist in pleasure for eternity, but if it was heavy with evil it would tip into the crocodilian jaws of the demon Ammit, an offspring of Anubis, and then be doomed to a restless existence in Duat. Eventually he became the chief enforcer of curses; Platon often had Sokrates utter oaths (by the dog," referring to this jackal-headed deity.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?