Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Jose Varghese writes

METAMORPHOSIS[1]

One morning,
I, Jesus, was waking up
from a dreamless slumber
and found that on my cross
I had been changed into
a younger man
with a naïve smile
and the eyes of Krishna[2],
my brother.
Those blue eyes
began to suck in
all the love of this world.

I found myself
lying on his bed half sleep,
my barren dreamscapes
filled with visions
of fun and frolic
in the eternal garden
of desires when
I heard glass shattered,
doors broken,
and furious screams
that could dry up
all humanity.

They hit me hard,
and I, in that young body,
felt afresh the pain
that was long forgotten;
the price I had paid for all
my meek love
that violated
some of their worlds.

I opened my mouth
in silent pain
and a whole world
was transformed,
reduced, to a few pairs
of blood-thirsty eyes
before me.

They took me to their car
and while splayed
on its back seat,
staring at those
who spat venom on me
and hit and kicked me
to break all my bones,
I knew my new cross.

I foresaw then
a girl moving her hands
and lips over
my thick glass casket,
inches away from my face,
her tears hard enough
to break
all the glass cases
of this world,
and lips in all readiness
to kiss, never losing
the fullness of love.
“Bold Lover, never,
never canst thou kiss.”[3]

I knew her loveless kin
was to finish me off
to undo the dishonor
of their girl daring
to walk away as a bride
to a humble abode like mine.

I saw my folks in her
hands, and she
in theirs,
finding solace
in the kind of love
that flows endlessly
from my eyes,
their tears solidified
to form a monument
of shame, that mocks
those who fail
to find love, ever,
despite all the people/things
they hunt down to own.

I couldn't see though
how I was going to drown.
Did I run away, dragging
my broken bones,
and jump to the river,
or did they
throw me in it dead,
or push me down it
all alive?
Were my eyes disgorged
and thrown to the bushes,
or were they eaten by fish?
It didn’t matter.
In time, you should say,
“Those are pearls
that were his eyes”[4].

I am back on my cross,
Struggling hard
to see through eyelids
matted in blood,
the faces of those
who raise their faces
to me, in faint hope.

I see some so well,
though in a flash,
with my Krishna eye,
when a new avatar
is me on the cross.

Those who lose them
on a cross see me too,
though in a flash.


[1] After The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka.
[2] A major Hindu deity, the god of compassion, tenderness and love.
[3]  Ode on a Grecian Urn, John Keats
[4] Ariel’s Song, Scene ii, Act 1, The Tempest, William Shakespeare
 
Jesus Krishna --  Sozey
 
Jesus, Shiva, and the Kabbalah -- Robert Ryan

1 comment:

  1. Jose writes: "I wrote the poem in response to a dis/honour killing based on caste/class that took place in Kerala, India. It was shocking to many like me who once considered Kerala as a relatively literate, culturally liberated state in India. A news article about the killing can be found here: https://www.firstpost.com/living/honour-killing-in-kerala-kevin-neenu-case-indicative-of-a-bigger-more-frightening-trend-4491953.html. I was really troubled by the brutal killing of the young man by her lover's family and also plight of the girl who lost him, and his humble aged parents who, amidst their own grief, gracefully accommodated and protected the girl who was by then estranged from her folks."

    Krishna is worshiped as the 8th avatar of Vishnu and also as the supreme god in his own right. In the "Mahabharata" Duryodhana, the emperor of the world, addressed him as "Pundareekaksha" (lotus-eyed one). Jesus is worshiped as the human incarnation of God, who was crucified as the means for mankind to achieve divine grace and then rose from the dead to reside in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?